On Friday, 29th July, SNP ran a Diversity and Inclusion workshop. As an organisation, we believe our Diversity and Inclusion strategy needs to be integrated with the business goals and people initiatives to create a harmonious, tolerant and inclusive workplace.
We invited employees from all key business units to share their views on diversity in their teams, how it impacts them and how we can further leverage and promote positive teamwork and inclusion. The 2 hour workshop was filled with interesting discussions and group activities over an informal lunch.
Insights from the workshop included:
- Diversity is multifaceted – there are many factors that shape our identity, and we are all unique!
- We all face some challenges in relation to working in diverse teams: fear of the unknown, lack of trust, likelihood of misunderstanding, conflict, stereotyping or bias.
- Despite challenges, there are many individual and organisational benefits of working within diverse teams, and we should harness our diverse talents.
- There are plenty of personal tips that can help us manage our unconscious bias and create a more inclusive environment at work.
- Leaders play a key role in creating a diverse and inclusive work environment.
These views reinforce SNP’s strategy around Diversity and Inclusion. We understand that each individual has a unique perspective, and diversity and inclusion in the workplace is about being able to respect, acknowledge and leverage these differences.
SNP is committed to promoting various cultural events and social interactions across teams and departments to raise awareness and truly embed a culture that is diverse and inclusive.